Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This recipe goes back to my grandmother. She was a wonderful cook and had to make do with what she had. I guess they all had leftover homemade bread. This sounds like it is toooo simple to be good, but we love it. It has a wonderful flavor.
Top Review by HocoRuco
Too soggy and not enough chocolate. Next time I'll use less milk, more cocoa and maybe add some berries or chocolate chips.
*The sogginess could have been because I had to use skim milk so I'm not taking any stars off for that. But this still didn't satisfy my lust for chocolate so it only gets 4 out of 5. Overall it was good but not what I was hoping for.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 5 slices white bread
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- butter or cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 2 quart baking bowl or use cooking spray.
- Add the eggs and beat in the bowl with a fork.
- Add the sugar and the cocoa and mix well with the eggs.
- Add the milk slowly to the above mixture wisking all the time.
- Add salt and vanilla and mix well.
- Break the bread up in pieces and add to milk mixture making sure all the bread in under the milk and wet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours in a pan of water.