Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I found this recipe on The Fat Free Vegan site. I did change a few things to suit my tastes. The recipe didn't call for it, but I infused and glazed my cake with some rhubarb syrup. This gave it a nice shine. The flavour isn't overly sweet. DH really enjoyed it and he's not one to eat cake.
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wheat flour (I used spelt)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon flax seed (or chia seeds...ground fine)
- 3⁄4 cup filtered water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup organic blueberries (Organic please)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (you can use date syrup or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 cup blueberries (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Grease a 9" round cake pan. I sprayed my pan with a light oil and put a 9" round piece of parchment on the bottom to ensure the cake didn't stick.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, coco powder, baking powder, baking soda, chia (or flax) and salt.
- In a blender combine water and 1/2 cup blueberries and balsamic vinegar. Blend until well mixed. This will be watery.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the blueberry mixture.
- I used my hand blender and mixed everything up well together. Add.
- the liquid sweetener and mix again until the batter is nice and smooth.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the cake pan and flip out onto a serving platter.
- At this point I poked holes into the top of the cake and poured some of my rhubarb syrup over the cake. I did this a few times to make sure the syrup penetrated the cake.
- Then I put the blueberries on top of the cake. I glazed it with the rhubarb syrup and it gave the cake a nice shine.
- You can also just drizzle some maple or agave syrup over the cake if you like. It will probably make it sweeter.
- I let it set up for a few hours in the fridge. You can also put a dollop of your favorite whipped topping on this as well.
- Bon Appetit!