1/1 Photo of Chocolate Blueberry Cake
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I found this recipe on The Fat Free Vegan site. I did change a few things to suit my tastes. The recipe didn't call for it, but I infused and glazed my cake with some rhubarb syrup. This gave it a nice shine. The flavour isn't overly sweet. DH really enjoyed it and he's not one to eat cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups white wheat flour (I used spelt)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon flax seed (or chia seeds...ground fine)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries (Organic please)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (you can use date syrup or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 cup blueberries (for serving)
- 1Preheat oven to 350'F.
- 2Grease a 9" round cake pan. I sprayed my pan with a light oil and put a 9" round piece of parchment on the bottom to ensure the cake didn't stick.
- 3In a medium bowl mix flour, coco powder, baking powder, baking soda, chia (or flax) and salt.
- 4In a blender combine water and 1/2 cup blueberries and balsamic vinegar. Blend until well mixed. This will be watery.
- 5Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the blueberry mixture.
- 6I used my hand blender and mixed everything up well together. Add.
- 7the liquid sweetener and mix again until the batter is nice and smooth.
- 8Bake 30 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- 9Cool completely in the cake pan and flip out onto a serving platter.
- 10At this point I poked holes into the top of the cake and poured some of my rhubarb syrup over the cake. I did this a few times to make sure the syrup penetrated the cake.
- 11Then I put the blueberries on top of the cake. I glazed it with the rhubarb syrup and it gave the cake a nice shine.
- 12You can also just drizzle some maple or agave syrup over the cake if you like. It will probably make it sweeter.
- 13I let it set up for a few hours in the fridge. You can also put a dollop of your favorite whipped topping on this as well.
- 14Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Egg-Free Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg-Free Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Blueberry Cake
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.4
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 201.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g