1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
A rich, flourless cake from "Miami Spice - The New Florida Cuisine" by Steven Raichlen (1993). If you can get them, use manzanas (apple bananas) for this. Otherwise any type will do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature and cut into tablespoons
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons sugar, separated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Butter a 10" springform pan and sprinkle with sugar.
- 3CAKE: Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- 4When the chocolate has completely melted, whisk in the butter a tablespoon at a time.
- 5Let the mixture cool slightly.
- 6Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a mixer at high speed until mixture is ivory colored and as thick as marshmallow topping (5 minutes).
- 7Stir in the cornstarch and vanilla.
- 8Beat the egg whites, adding the cream of tartar after 20 seconds, and adding the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar as the whites stiffen to soft peaks.
- 9Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- 10Fold in the egg whites as gently as possible.
- 11Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- 12Bake the cake until firm on top but the center is still a little soft, about 30 minutes.
- 13Remove the pan from the oven, set on rack and let cool to room temperature.
- 14Run knife around edge and remove from pan.
- 15Cake will sink a little in the center.
- 16TOPPING: Peel the bananas and cut them into 1/4 inch slices.
- 17Toss the bananas with the orange juice to prevent discoloring.
- 18Combine the butter and sugar in a large skillet over high heat and cook until mixture begins to caramelize, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 19Stir in the bananas and cook, turning, until golden about 4 minutes.
- 20Let the banana mixture cool completely.
- 21Beat the cream in a chilled bowl with a mixer.
- 22As the cream stiffens, beat in the confectioners' sugar and rum to taste.
- 23Continue beating until stiff.
- 24Spoon the caramelized banana mixture on top of the cake.
- 25With pastry bag, fitted with star tip, pipe rosettes of cream over the top.
- 26Use a vegetable peeler to shave the chocolate over cake.
- 27Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Banana Sin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.8
- Calories from Fat 549
- Total Fat 61.0 g
- Saturated Fat 37.2 g
- Cholesterol 188.4 mg
- Sodium 174.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 12.3 g