Recipe by Carrie Ann
This delicious torte is easy to put together and looks very pretty with its' alternating layers of apricot and chocolate. This is one of my favorite cake recipes that I've made many times over.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 cans apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- chocolate curls (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl until thickened.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl until foamy; gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into yolk mixture.
- Gradually fold in flour.
- Divide batter between 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
- BUTTERCREAM:Whisk sugar,eggs, yolks, vanilla and coffee in a saucepan.
- Add chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until thickened (be careful not to let it boil).
- Cool completely.
- Cream butter in a medium bowl;gradually add chocolate mixture and set aside.
- Finely chop the apricots; drain and place in a bowl.
- Stir in preserves and set aside.
- Split each of the cakes into two horizontal layers.
- Place one on a serving plate.
- Spread with 2/3 cup buttercream.
- Top with another cake layer and 2/3 cup apricot filling.
- Repeat these layers twice.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
- Garnish with choclate curls before serving if desired.