Recipe by Irmgard
The original recipe makes 6 individual sized chocolate cakes which is fine for a dinner party, but for everyday snacking, I prefer to make this in a Bundt pan. It is a very moist, delicious cake that keeps well for several days.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 18 hazelnuts, toasted and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and sugar a 10-cup Bundt pan.
- Beat the butter, oil and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Whisk the buttermilk and applesauce together.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture, alternating with the applesauce mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, heat the cream to just below a simmer and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Let sit for one minute then stir to smooth out.
- Stir in the butter to melt in and thicken the glaze.
- Pour over the top of the cake and let drip down the sides.
- Garnish with the hazelnuts.