Recipe by Bev
Ready for dessert?
Top Review by hettieann
Published in the May 1951 issue of Ford magazine came from a restaurant outside of Harrison, AR. The restaurant, Spring Lake, operated in the late 40s through the 60s and into the 70s i am not sure when it closed but this was their recipe and signature dessert i have been serving it for over 50 years
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 13 ounces angel food cake, fresh or stale (broken into bite-sized chunks)
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in water on top of double boiler; cool.
- Stir in yolks and salt.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; add sugar and stir into cooled chocolate mixture, blending well.
- Whip heavy cream; add vanilla; fold into chocolate mixture.
- Place chunks of angel food cake into 9x13x2" pan.
- Cover with chocolate mixture.
- Chill at least 6 hours before serving.
- Cut into squares and top with ice cream.