Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces milk
- 10 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur
- 1 orange, grated zest and segments
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease two 6 cake tins.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Leave to cool for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Mix the baking soda and the milk, and add slowly to the mixture.
- Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake for 25 minutes, until cooked and risen.
- Leave in the tins for 2 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the cream stiffly.
- Fold in the liqueur and most of the orange zest.
- Use to sandwich the cakes together, reserving a little for the top.
- Decorate with the remaining cream mixture, orange zest and the segments.