Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love chocolate and almonds, you'll love this! A very rich, decadent dessert I serve for special occasions. I imagine the leftovers could be frozen but, I'm not sure as there has never been any left over! Prep time does not include 3-5 hour chilling time.
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips (chips)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Line a 9 inch pie pan with aluminum foil (as smoothly as possible).
- Melt 1 cup of morsels with 2 teaspoons butter over medium heat.
- Spread melted chocolate evenly in bottom and up sides of pie plate to form the"crust" (shell).
- Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in medium sauce pan, place remaining morsels, butter, condensed milk, and salt.
- Cook over low heat till chocolate melts, stirring continuously.
- Add water and continue stirring.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- While still stirring, add amaretto and cook for 5 more minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Add some of the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture, stirring briskly.
- Gently fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
- Remove chocolate"crust" from freezer, remove foil from shell.
- Pour chocolate mixture into chocolate shell crust.
- Chill for at least 3 1/2 hours before serving.
- *Slicesmay be garnished with a dollop of whipped cream which can be lightly sprinkled with slivered or crushed almonds.
YUM!! Everybody loved it. I took the cheating way out of the crust though they had oreo cookie crumb crusts on sale. I think it would be lovely with a gramcracker crust as well, and maybe a tad bit less rich so I could enjoy a second slice without a major sugar rush!
rave reviews all around!!... i made this for my dad who was coming home from a long trip asa welcome home surprise.. he LOVED it, as did everyone else!!! The only changes I made was that I used a total of 14oz chocolate chips (3/4c. instead of 1/2c. in the mousse) and i also used a 12oz container cool whip instead of the whipped cream. Thanks for such an awesome recipe!!
My mom loved this!! It's chocolatey and silky. I found it a bit too sweet (no one else did, lol), so next time I will sub some unsweetened chocolate to cut down the sweetness. I made the "crust", but next time I probably won't, just the mousse is good enough. Thanks Dee!