Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Bon Appetit, October 2002. This is a delicious, moist cake.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 18 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray.
- Combine cake mix, 1 1/3 cups water, eggs, oil, 3 tablespoons amaretto, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl; whisk until well blended.
- Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes.
- Run knife around pan sides.
- Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely. Brush each cake layer with 2 tablespoons amaretto.
- Combine butter and cream in medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until butter melts and mixture comes to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 2 cups chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
- Mix in remaining 3 tablespoons amaretto.
- Cool until barely lukewarm, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in sour cream and remaining 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, then powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate frosting just until thick enough to spread, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Place 1 cake layer on platter; spread 1/3 cup frosting over; top with second cake layer; spread 1/3 cup frosting over; top with third cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Press nuts around bottom 2 inches of cake.
- Chill 2 hours.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover with cake dome; keep chilled.)
- **Cook time does not include cooling time or chill time.