Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
I found this recipe in the Coastal Journal while vacationing in Maine. It looks great and super-easy.
FOR THE CAKE
- 354.88 ml chopped almonds, divided
- 517.37 g box devil's food cake mix
- 99.22 g box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml miniature semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE GLAZE
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 9.85-14.78 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat two (9x5x3 inch) loaf pans with shortening and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder, tapping out excess.
- Place 1 cup of the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, stirring once or twice, until golden brown.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed with electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Add mini chocolate chips and the 1 cup of toasted almonds and stir well.
- Pour batter into prepared pans; sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of untoasted almonds on the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- Place pans on wire racks and let cool for 15 minutes before turning cakes out to cool completely.
- FOR GLAZE:.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add remaining teaspoons of milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cooled cakes.