Recipe by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
This is a combo recipe of two pies that I thought would blend well. The sweetness of the butterscotch mixed with the rich chocolate makes for a wonderful taste sensation. I use a chocolate graham crust, but a regular chocolate wafer crust or a standard graham crust would be nice too. I'm not a meringue fan, but you could use your egg whites and top the pie that way.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour (divided)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk (divided)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (divided)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 15 chocolate graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush graham crackers, and mix with 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the 6 T. butter or margarine. Press into 9-inch deep dish pie plate and set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix brown sugar, the pinch of salt and 1/4 cup of flour and whisk in 2 cups of milk. Add the 1/4 cup of butter and cook over medium heat till thickened. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, separate three eggs. Set whites aside and lightly beat yolks. Spoon a little of the butterscotch mixture into the egg yolks and then return all to the saucepan. Cook another two minutes and remove from heat. Add a teaspoon of vanilla. Mix thoroughly and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Set aside to cool.
- In another saucepan mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and cocoa. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk. Mixture will look like it won't combine, but stick with it, it will.
- Cook over medium heat till thickened. Remove from heat and add 2 egg yolks with same method as above. Return to heat and cook an additional two minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble pie, spoon butterscotch filling into crust. Follow with the chocolate filling and cover again with plastic wrap. Refrigerate till completely cooled and top with Cool Whip.