Recipe by Debbwl
Found on http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/09/chipotle-barbecued-tofu.html and put here for safe keeping. The photo showed it served over some whole-wheat couscous that was flavored with saffron and an asortment of fresh herbs, and minced pimento pepper. (updated 12/19/10--cut the tofu from 28 ounces to 14ounces)
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
We loved this, and will make it again! I did use one 13 oz. block of tofu for three of us and kept the amount of sauce the same...the sauce is great! We served it with baked potatoes stuffed with a veggie mixture, but it is very flexible. I made this for Photo Tag.
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (or other sugar or agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice each block of tofu into 9 slices. Place them on a double layer of paper towels or a clean tea towel (non-fuzzy) and place another double layer over them. Press firmly with your hands to remove as much moisture as possible. Let them sit on the absorbent material while you make the sauce.
- Heat a saucepan and add the onion. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until onion begins to brown, at least 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add all remaining ingredients (except the tofu) and cook, stirring, over medium to low heat, for about 15-20 minutes, until thick and fragrant.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Place a silicone baking mat on a cookie sheet or oil a long, rectangular baking dish. Brush one side of each slice of tofu with a thin layer of sauce and place it on the pan sauce-side down. Spread remaining sauce on the tops and sides of the tofu. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until tofu is firm and just beginning to brown at the corners. Serve hot.