Recipe by spatchcock
This is an adopted recipe that I have not yet had the chance to try. Please review and add comments should you try this before I do (or after, of course!) Thanks!
- 24 ounces firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 medium green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sake or 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tofu crosswise into pieces the shape of French-fried potatoes.
- Heat a wok, coat with oil and sprinkle on the salt.
- Add onion then mushrooms, stir-frying each over high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add carrot, green pepper and tofu in that order, sauteing each for about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add sake, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and water.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in dissolved cornstarch and simmer 30 seconds more.