Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish is especially popular for Chinese New Year, the fish symbolizing longevity.
Make and share this Chinese Steamed Fish in Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium sized whole white fish fillet, gutted and scales removed (you can have your fish monger do this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (or salad oil)
- 4 slices fresh ginger, julienned
- 2 large spring onions, julienned
- chopped cilantro, to sprinkle over top
- Rinse and drain fish. Score the skin at 1/2 inch intervals on both sides.
- Place the fish on a large plate, and sprinkle with salt inside and out.
- Place the fish in a steamer basket and place in a wok, or use a regular Western steamer pot.
- Sprinkle the fish evenly with the ginger slices, then cover with a lid.
- Steam the fish on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix soy sauce and vinegar.
- When the fish is flaky and cooked, place it on a serving plate.
- Pour sauce over fish.
- Toss out any water from the wok, and add oil and green onions.
- Saute quickly over a hot flame until onions are a bit tender, then pour sizzling oil and onions over fish.
- Garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro) and serve.