Recipe by Cynna
A wonderful recipe from Martin Yan! You can make a large batch and freeze them (uncooked) with waxed paper in between. Just thaw as many as you need and fry!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cups scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour in a bowl, and add 1 1/4 cups boiling water, stirring with a fork until dough holds together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Cover with plastic, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces, shape into balls, and cover with plastic. Working with 1 ball at a time, roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 5'' round.
- Brush with a thin film of shortening. Sprinkle with a little sesame oil, some scallions, and salt and pepper.
- Roll dough into a cylinder, coil it into a circle, and tuck end underneath. Roll into a 5'' round. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium skillet.
- Fry cakes, one at a time, until blistered and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add more vegetable oil as needed.
- Drain on paper towels.