Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From Irene Kuo's Chinese Cookbook
Top Review by zaar junkie
This is a super easy and tasty meal. I soaked the dried shiitakes for only about 20 minutes and use shaoxing wine for the sherry. I also reduced the oil to 3 tsp. Easy to throw together and had a good flavor; served with cooked brown rice. This is a recipe I'd gladly make again. Thanks!
- 12 ounces fresh bean curd
- 8 medium black dried Chinese mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 scallion, 1 1/2inch shreds
- 2 slices gingerroot, quarter sized peeled shredded
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom liquid, see note
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter your bean curd squares then cut into 2 triangles. Turn each on longest side and cut thru to make 3 thin triangles from each. Set aside.
- Cover mushrooms with 3/4 cup boiling water and soak 1 hour. Lightly squeeze to let liquid drain back into bowl [NOTE this is where you get the mushroom liquid. The soaking water not the rinse step] then rinse briefly and squeeze dry. Destem and cut cap into 1/2 inch wide slices. Place scallions, ginger, mushrooms and curd on work tray. Measure mushroom liquid if you are short 1/2 cup add some stock or water.
- Heat large heavy skillet over high until hot. add oil. Swirl. heat for 15 seconds. Lower heat to med and place scallions and ginger in and stir rapidly a few times. Add the sherry, soy, sugar and mushroom liquid. As it sizzles to boil add mushrooms and bean curd. Turn gently a few times. Adjust heat to maintain gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Turn contents half way thru.
- You should be minus the liquid or close to it at this point. Add the oil and turn once more. The serve.