- 300 g young squid, each about 4 to 5 cm long,cleaned
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 75 g cornflour
- 1 red chile, very thinly sliced,seeds and all
- 2 green onions, cut into 1 cm pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Slit each squid body open along one side with a sharp knife then score the inside of each in a criss cross pattern.
- Set aside with the tenticles.
- Heat 5 cm of Vegetable oil in the base of a deep frying pan.
- Place the sea salt and the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and crush coarsely together.
- stir into the cornflour, then toss with the squid to coat.
- Cook the chillies and salad onions in the hot oil for 30 seconds then scoop them out with a mesh spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Cook the squid body and tentacles in the pan for 2 minutes until it rolls up and turns crisp and lightly golden.
- Transfer the squid to a plate, scatter over the crispy chilli and salad onions and serve with soy sauce for drizzling and lemon wedges for squeezing over.