Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful hors d oeuvre. Your guests will keep going back for more.
- 20 leaves Chinese cabbage (Napa Cabbage)
- 1 lb ground pork (or 1/2 lb. of each) or 1 lb beef (or 1/2 lb. of each)
- 1 tablespoon wine (for MEAT) or 1 tablespoon cream sherry (for MEAT)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot (chopped or ground)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry (for SAUCE)
- wooden toothpick
- Put separated cabbage leaves in boiling water and parboil for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove and drain.
- Cut off the thick part of stem and discard.
- Slice leaves in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Place the meat into a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of wine or cream sherry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon chopped or ground ginger root, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and 3 tablespoons water.
- Mix thoroughly until this filling is completely blended and smooth.
- Lay out the saved halves of the cabbage leaves.
- Lightly sprinkle cornstarch onto the leaves and place a tablespoon or less of the meat filling at the end of each leaf then rolling to enclose the balls.
- Place water in the bottom part of a steamer and place the stuffed cabbage balls in the top part of the steamer.
- Steam over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- While the balls are steaming, place 1 cup chicken broth or stock, 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cream sherry, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper into a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium& add 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, stirring until it thickens.
- Place the cabbage balls onto a serving platter and pour the thickened sauce over the balls.
- Place a wooden toothpick into each ball and serve.