Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
from a mid-70's Woman's Day magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3⁄4-1 cup canned diced green chilis
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 large flour tortillas
Green Chile Salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) canned whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, leaf, crumbled
- Heat beef,pork and water to boiling in a large kettle; lower heat, cover.
- simmer until meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- drain meat and reserve 1 cup broth.
- shred meat when cool enough to handle.
- heat oil in a large saucepan.
- add the onion, green chilis and garlic, saute 1 minute.
- add flour, salt and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- stir in reserved broth and shredded meat.
- cook until mixture is moist but quite thick.
- keep warm.
- heat 1 tortilla on a large griddle or very large skillet until soft and pliable.
- spread about 3/4 cup meat mixture over the lower third of the tortilla in a band about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- work quickly so the tortilla does not get crisp.
- fold the bottom edge of the tortilla up over the filling to cover it almost completly.
- then fold the two sides in towards the center over the filling and start rolling the filling into a cylinder.
- repeat until all are filled.
- heat 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet until very hot.
- saute two chimichangas at a time in hot oil until golden, turning with two broad spatulas.
- drain on paper towels.
- serve with green chili salsa.
- garnish with shredded lettuce and avocado slices.