I found this recipe in a Family Circle magazine about 30 years ago--still one of our family favorites.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork steak
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup reserved broth
- 1 (10 count) package burrito-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups oil, to fry in
- Cut the meat into 1 inch pieces.
- Add the meat to the water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook on low and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Reserve the broth.
- When meat is cool, shred it.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet; add the onion, garlic powder, green chilies.
- Cook 2 minutes, now add the flour, cumin, and salt.
- Stir in the reserved broth.
- Add the meat and cook until the mixture is thick and moist.
- Put in warm tortilla, about 2/3 cup of the meat mixture or more.
- Fry until golden in 1/2 inch of hot oil.
- Drain on paper towels.
- ***I serve these with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa and sour cream.
- Best Chimichangas I ever tasted.