Recipe by Jewelies
We made this simple, tasty lobster dish while on our caravaning (RV'ing) trip to the Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia, also excellent made with crab or prawns. A recipe from the Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander. Thanks to kdlpmum for recommending this amazing book! I normally use a bit less lobster meat (750grams) - I guess it depends on cost and what is available.
- 1 kg cooked rock lobster meat, chopped into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 fresh red chilies, seeded and finely chopped, to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 green onions, cut into 4 cm lenghts
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon black beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour, for thickening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2-3 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make sauce mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok, add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute, then tip in chilli and stir-fry for another minute.
- Stir sauce ingredients into wok for 2 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar or lemon juice, stirring.
- Add lobster pieces (just enough to heat through- do not cook).
- Crack egg in and mix to form shreds.
- Add coriander and green onions, stir well and serve immediately with bread to mop up the sauce.
- Raw lobsters can be used, just add lobster after step two and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add sauce then cover and simmer over high heat for 5-7 minutes or until lobster shells turn bright red. Carry on with the rest of the steps.