Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Family Circle
- 190 g dried sweetened cranberries
- 4 red bird's eye chilies, ends trimmed, roughly chopped
- 3 red banana chilies, trimmed, seeds and membrane removed, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- Put cranberries in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 10 minutes to soften. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the chillies and onion in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium, heavy-based saucepan. Add the cranberries, sugar, salt, vinegar, port and the reserved cranberry liquid. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and boil gently for 30-40 minutes, or until thick and jam-like. Spoon immediately into a clean, dry jar. Seal and turn the jar upside down for 2 minutes. Turn the right way up and set aside to cool.
My first attempt at making jam! Used two punnets of fresh cranberries instead as I had some left over from Christmas and omitted the water, so easy to make and no need for pectin or scary jam thermometer! I like it hot so upped the chilli amount too and added chilli flakes! Rich and tasty!