Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious traditional Indian snack that is quick to make and enjoy at any time. Try purchasing the mix from an Indian grocer, and keep in the cupboard for a quick bite.
FOR THE CHILLI BITE MIX
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
ADD TO IT
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, cleaned+chopped
- 1 medium potato, washed+grated
- 1⁄2 cup coriander, chopped roughly
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped roughly
- 1 medium onion, chopped roughly
- chili, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup oil
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Combine all ingredients for the chilli bite mix.
- Add veg and herbs to it and combine.
- Add water if necessary to make it a fairly thick batter.
- Drop tsp size amounts into hot oil.
- When golden brown (should take about 1 minute), remove and drain on paper towels.
- NOTE: If you can purchase ready made chilli bite/ bhajia mix from a store or an Indian grocer omit the mix, and just add to it the herbs and veg. Don't bother trying to make round shapes, just drop small amounts of the batter into the hot oil. The hotter the oil the less oil absorbed by the bhajia, therefore drop in small quantities to make sure the inside is cooked.