Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a gazpacho but smooth instead of chunky this soup is wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer's day. Serve with frozen olive oil cubes (place olive oil in ice cube moulds and freeze).
- 1 slice white country bread, crusts removed and broken into large crumbs
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 red chile, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces roma tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 teaspoons tomato ketchup
- 7⁄8 cup tomato juice
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and roughly diced
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the bread in a food processor or blender. With the machine running add the vinegar, garlic, sugar and chili, and blend until smooth.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil until the bread will absorb no more then, a little at a time, add the tomatoes, tomato ketchup, tomato juice, scallions, red pepper, cucumber and pesto. Continue to blend to form a smooth emulsion. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with frozen olive oil cubes.