Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Avocados are ripening more quickly than we can think up recipes for them!Found this in F&W Magazine, June 2008 edition - it is a combination of two recipes and it was awesome!!! It is fast and healthy - the guacamole is made first & then the soup takes no time at all.These are Grace Parisi recipes - from: Guacamole, The Remix. Didn't allow for cooling time. UPDATE: 07/14/2010 - We made this soup again and added 1/2 cup fresh tomatillos, 1 serrano pepper, & 2 T minced red bell pepper, It gave the soup a great flavor and added a little something else. We also added 1/2 tsp grated orange rind which infused crabmeat which floated atop the rich & creamy soup. Yum :)
GUACAMOLE (1 CUP)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 scallions, white and tender green parts only (medium in size)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 Hass avocadoes, halved and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
CHILLED AVOCADO SOUP TOPPED WITH CRAB
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup bottled clam juice or pw-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- jumbo lump crab meat
- creme fraiche
- fried corn tortilla strips
- finely chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat a grill pan.
- In a small bowl, toss the scallions, garlic and jalapeno with the vegetable oil.
- Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a work surface and let cool.
- Finely chop the scallions and jalapeno; transfer to medium bowl.
- Peel the garlic cloves, mash them to a paste and add them to the bowl.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl and coarsely mash with a fork.
- Fold the cilantro and lime juice into the guacamole; season with salt & pepper (make sure you don't over-season because there is more salt & pepper in the soup!).
- CHILLED AVOCADO SOUP TOPPED WITH CRAB:.
- In a blender, puree the guacamole with the cold buttermilk, bottled clam juice, ice water and lime juice.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into 4 bowls and top with the jumbo lump crab meat.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with creme fraiche, fried tortilla strips and finely chopped chives.
Delicious! We backed off and did half the jalapeno - can't do too spicy. I did not top with crab, but did serve with a dollop of sour cream and a wedge of lime. Cool, delicious and satisfying.