Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very simple, hearty and delicious take on enchiladas. The last time we made enchiladas, we ran out of the chicken mixture we were using for the filling...but we had some leftover chili, so my resourceful DH used that to stuff the last tortilla. The results were fabulous! Tonight, it was chili filling all the way!!
- 8 -10 small flour tortillas
- 12 ounces enchilada sauce (I recommend Trader's Joe's)
- 3 cups chili (amount approximate, thicker is better, use your leftovers!!)
- 1⁄2 cup queso sauce (I recommend Tostitos brand Monterey Jack)
- 1 cup four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Warm tortillas for about 30 seconds in microwave, enough to make them soft and pliable.
- Pour enough enchilada sauce to just cover bottom of greased 9 x 12 glass baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/3 cup chili (no need to warm up if you are using leftovers). Roll each tortilla and place seam side down in the sauce-lined pan.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the stuffed tortillas, being sure to completely cover all of them. Use a spoon to spread over any exposed areas.
- Warm queso slightly then drizzle lightly over tortillas.
- Finish by topping with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, until sauce is bubbly.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Yum, this was a big hit! I used leftovers from our favorite vegetarian chili and homemade Mesa Red Sauce (Mesa Red Sauce). I switched out for corn tortillas due to dietary needs. Filling and flavorful, and this could easily be changed based simply on what kind of chili leftovers are around. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '12
We made this using our leftover chili and it was simply delicious! Wouldn't change a thing.
I made this last night after googling 'leftover chili recipes'. Followed the direction but added sliced black olives and japs on top of the enchiladas while baking. Served with sliced lettuce, avocado, and Greek yogurt substituting for sour cream. My chili was vegetarian- black bean and kidney bean. I used weight watchers cheese. It was all really delicious- husband loved it too.