Egg and Green Chile Enchiladas
photo by Starrynews
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 small jalapeno, minced (remove seeds to taste- the more seeds you leave in, the spicier it will be)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 6 (8 inch) tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For sauce, place onions, garlic, and jalapeno in a medium saucepan prepared with nonstick cooking spray, and cook until onion is translucent.
- Stir in cumin and oregano before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Allow sauce to simmer and thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, prepare a medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Saute onion until translucent.
- Add chilies, cumin, chili powder, and chopped eggs and warm through.
- Remove from heat and mix in cheese.
- Place filling evenly in the center of each tortilla and roll. Place in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Cover enchiladas with sauce and top with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until enchiladas are warmed through and cheese has melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
As much as I like to think I try to make 1st time recipes just the way they're written, when it comes to jalapeno peppers & cumin, I usually cut back, as I did with this one ~ Used 3/4 teaspoon of cumin & most of 1 jalapeno! Still, we were very satisfied with the resulting enchiladas & would enjoy having them again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for my chosen partner in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 22]
What a great twist on enchiladas! My first inclination was to think this was a "breakfast burrito." But the texture of the boiled eggs instead of scrambled and the spice mixture made for a perfect evening meal. As easy as this is, I'm already thinking of ways to make variations - such as adding black beans or other sauted veggies into the egg mixture. But it doesn't need a thing for it to remain a 5-star recipe in my book!