Three Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
photo by Lavender Lynn
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 14 ounces enchilada sauce (preferred brand, La Victoria)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- black olives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Fry each tortilla in oil for several seconds to soften tortillas. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream and spices. Stir in chicken, 2 Cups Monterey jack (reserve the additional 1/2 cup), cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a pie plate. Dip each tortilla in sauce. Fill with 1/3 cup of chicken filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 13x9x2 pan. Repeat until all enchiladas are filled.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top of enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake until melted.
- Serve with desired garnishes and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the best enchilada recipe ever, making good use of leftover chicken--both dark and white meat. It makes enough for leftovers which happen to freeze very well, for a future fast, tasty meal! I tend to sprinkle more cheese on top than the 1/2 cup but we love lots of cheese. I also put a good sprinkle of oregano in the cheese mixture, along with the cumin. I serve it with my Spanish rice, and topped with guacamole--heaven on a plate!
Oh, yum! I wanted a recipe with cream cheese like my MIL makes, and this actually came out a bit better! : ) I bought chicken tenders, seasoned them with a chipotle seasoning mix and then grilled them in my grill pan. Then I used my kitchen shears to cut it up into the filling mixture. I used 6 corn tortillas and 6 flour tortillas and added a can of Rotel to the filling, which gave it just the right amount of kick. Thanks!
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a stay at home mom to two little boys. I LOVE to cook and bake. I love to try new recipes and come up with some of my own :)