Recipe by justcallmetoni
An adopted recipe originally posted by Mean Chef. I have not tried this one yet as I have not yet found arbol chiles.
Top Review by firefly68
Oh thank you thank you! I just bought a huge supplies of dried chiles but didn't know how to make powder out of them. I want to give a batch of chili fixin's (#93173332) as gifts this year but I always just throw the whole pods in the pot. I've seen arbols online but found some locally at a small international foods market. They had a wide assortment of chile varieties and were much cheaper.
- 2 ounces dried ancho chiles
- 4 ounces dried New Mexico chiles
- 1 ounce dried arbol chile
- 6 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 6 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons Mexican oregano, ground
- 4 tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- The chiles should be toasted before grinding (one minute on a hot cast iron skillet or comal).
- When the chiles are cool, break them into pieces and grind into a fine powder using a spice grinder or coffee mill.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Store in a jar.