Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yes,..it's just as good as it sounds!
- 8 pheasants, breasts boned
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 8 strips
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup onion, sliced
- hot pepper sauce
- Flatten pheasant breasts then place 1 tb of green chilies and 1 strip of jack cheese on each, then roll to enclose the filling and secure the roll with a toothpick.
- Combine the bread crumbs,parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt, pepper and ªts of cumin, mixing well.
- Dip the breast rolls in butter and then coat with crumb mixture, place in a baking dish and chill for 4 hours or more.
- Drizzle the remaining butter on the breast rolls and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 30 min.
- or until brown.
- Combine the tomato sauce and the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and cook until heated through.
- Spoon over rolls and serve.
I made this for my hunting family and it was very well received. I was told to make this again and everyone wanted the recipe. I did put Habanjero Jack in some for our spicy eaters and it was delicious.
This is a family favorite. Too bad we can't get ahold of pheasant more often!
This is the second time I have made this dish. I forgot to rate last time. This is excellent! It's Pheasant season again and DH asked for this dish to be made. He said it is now his most favorite of all the Pheasant dishes I have made. This time I used whole green chilies instead of chopped. I never have any butter leftover to drizzle on the breast rolls. Doesn't seem to matter. The meat stays nice and moist which can be a problem with Pheasants. Thank's Iowahorse ever so much for posting this dish.