Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've made a lot of chili in my time and this one it at the top of the list.
Make and share this Chili My Way recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (or small can of El Pato Jalapeno Salsa)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced fine
- 2 -4 cups kale, chopped (yes, kale!)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 -2 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 28 ounces enchilada sauce (I like El Pato)
- 15 1⁄2 ounces kidney beans, with juice
- 15 1⁄2 ounces pinto beans, with juice
- Add the oil & butter to a large stockpot over high heat. Add the bell pepper, jalapeno, celery, and onions. Sprinkle with salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes (if they start to look dry then put in a slash of water). Add the garlic and kale, sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add in the ground beef and break it up a bit, cook until the meat looks done (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Add in the chili powder, cayenne, coriander, cumin, granulated garlic, dehydrated onion, paprika, bay leaf and black pepper - cook about 1 minute.
- Add in the enchilada sauce and tomato paste, stir and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the 4 cups of water, kidney and pinto beans (with their juice!); lower the heat and simmer, about 2 hours.