3 hrs 30 mins
The Chillichick's Note:
My own recipe for a sweet spicy sauce to simmer beef ribs, then smoke them on the pit. Lots of room for variation, even if you don't have the exact ingedients!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 beef ribs (7-8 ribs each rack)
- 1892.5 ml apple juice (Organic fresh is best, but any apple juice or apple cider will work, *1)
- 946.25-3785.0 ml water (*1)
- 236.59 ml brown sugar (packed)
- 59.14 ml molasses (Sorghum or Black Strap is best)
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml Braggs liquid aminos (*2)
- 5-8 garlic cloves (smashed or chopped doesn't really matter)
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 4 dried guajillo chilies, de-stemmed, de-seeded, torn up in pieces (*3)
- 7.39 ml cayenne powder
- 29.58 ml allspice (optional if you don't have any, but really this is the "secret" ingredient., *4)
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 1Add everything to pot big enough to completely immerse your ribs. Pot should be big enough to completely submerge your ribs. I cut my racks down to 2-3 rib pieces. Not in singles or they dry out to much.
- 2Simmer, covered on low for 45-60 minutes. DO NOT BOIL!
- 3Transfer to barrel pit or smoker, and smoke for 1-2 hours.
- 4Use a brush or mop to baste a couple of times while on the barbecue.
- 5*1- In general the ratio for liquid is 2 to 1 apple cider. I have added beer, wine, a cup of leftover coffee, orange juice, etc. Just be sure your ribs are completely covered.
- 6*2- You can use Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, or some other equivalent. All of these are salty which is why I do not add any other salt, it dries out the meat. It is betterr to add the salt while you are eating!
- 7*3- You could use any mild/medium dried chili, or if you don't have any just use more Chili power, Cayenne powder or Chipotle powder.
- 8*4- Allspice really gives this that something special, but if you don't have any try a little cloves, cinnamon or nutmeg. (But NOT a whole tablespoon of these spice.).
- 9I have only ever smoked these using mesquite, or charcoal with some pecan or peach. I don't know how oak or hickory will affect the flavors.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Molasses Smoked Beef Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.2
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 86.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 111.9 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos
dried guajillo chilies