Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
The original of this somewhat spicy mac-&-cheese -- now slightly tweaked -- was found in the 2006 cookbook, Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion & garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & coat a 13"x9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies & seasonings to beef mixture & stir to combine.
- Drain macaroni, then add it to the beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour beef & macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish, then cover & bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Uncover & sprinkle with the shredded cheese, then return to oven & bake another 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
This was really good. I didn't use elbow macaroni I used rotelle instead and more than 1 cup. I also only used a 14.5oz can of tomatoes, used chili beans and no tomato paste or chilies. I think it needed a little more salt and a lot more cheese. But, I also love salt and cheese.
Multi-generational winner! Yes, it could be spicier, but this tasted great as written, and can be enjoyed by kids and elderly on medicines as well. This differed from my treasured Chili Mac in a can, but it was BETTER! Please refer to my full-pan photo to see how much room is left of a 9x13 pan. ( If you need more, I recommend doubling the recipe and using a disposable pan (14x11 1/2x2) for a buffet and cook for 30-35 minutes before adding cheese and cooking 10 minutes more.) This has the minimum amount of macaroni for this recipe, so it can be stretched further by using more pasta if desired. One to repeat, and share. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
This was a excellent receipe, followed the receipe word for word, came out great!! Will make this receipe again, Thanks