Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Taken from the blog Cupcake Bakeshop. Used to frost Chili Chocolate Cupcakes, posted separately. In place of the ground pequin chilies, I will be using chipotle chili powder.
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground dried chile pequins
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (can also use semisweet)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (4 TBLE)
- 2 -3 cups powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat the cream over medium heat until it bubbles around saucepan edge.
- Place pepper and chopped chocolate in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour heated cream over the chocolate.
- Let the mixture sit for about 30 seconds then start whisking it until smooth.
- Add butter in pats and mix until combined.
- Set aside mixture and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until cool.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Optionally you can add sifted powdered sugar and beat until combined. This will sweeten the frosting and make it less rich and intense. Also helpful if you are low on chocolate and want to stretch the frosting a bit further.