Recipe by Julie B's Hive
A yummy quick dish, not too heavy on the chili side, great for a busy evening meal.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I made this recipe on 1/31/10 for the " Photo Swap #8 " ( and our dinner :) ).I sort of made the recipe as it was written ( read misread ;) )The beans were added at the same time as the tomatoes. And speaking of the beans, I had to use some pintos for part of the kidneys.And instead of adding the cheese to the stew, a small amount was placed on each serving. The taste started out mellow and stayed the same through out. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle beef cubes with S&P, coat lightly with flour, shaking off excess. Brown beef cubes well in heated butter in Dutch oven until lightly browned. When beef is done remove from pan and cook onion is same pan, stirring frequently until soft and lightly browned.
- Return beef to pan, mix in garlic, salt, cumin and chili powder. Add tomatoes and their liquid and green chilies. Bring to boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer until beef is tender. Skim and discard fat.
- Mix in beans. Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened slightly about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cook a few minutes longer to melt it.