Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A yummy quick dish, not too heavy on the chili side, great for a busy evening meal.
Make and share this Chili Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, finely chopped
- Sprinkle beef cubes with S&P, coat lightly with flour, shaking off excess. Brown beef cubes well in heated butter in Dutch oven until lightly browned. When beef is done remove from pan and cook onion is same pan, stirring frequently until soft and lightly browned.
- Return beef to pan, mix in garlic, salt, cumin and chili powder. Add tomatoes and their liquid and green chilies. Bring to boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer until beef is tender. Skim and discard fat.
- Mix in beans. Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened slightly about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cook a few minutes longer to melt it.
I made this recipe on 1/31/10 for the " Photo Swap #8 " ( and our dinner :) ).I sort of made the recipe as it was written ( read misread ;) )The beans were added at the same time as the tomatoes. And speaking of the beans, I had to use some pintos for part of the kidneys.And instead of adding the cheese to the stew, a small amount was placed on each serving. The taste started out mellow and stayed the same through out. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
I choose this for Spring PAC 2007. I put it all in a crock pot after I browned the meat, and it worked out just fine. About an hour before I served it I added the kidney beans. The flavors were complementary to each other and it wasnâ€™t really spicy but mellow which my kids prefer. My dh ended up eating his in tortillas with cheese on top, I had mine with rice and cheese. This was very good and I will add it to my rotation of meals for one I can put into a crockpot! Thanks for a great one Julie!