1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe to make for a Chilean wine dinner. According to the website I borrowed (and tweaked) the recipe from: This dish is commonly called "porotos con riendas" in Spanish, this stewed blend of white beans and squash is a traditional and popular dish in Chile. It makes a perfect winter meal. It was a hit at our wine dinner!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (or Chilean aji de color)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans (Great Northern or Cannellini are best)
- 2 cups water (or as much as desired according to your liking of thickness of soup)
- 2 (12 ounce) boxes frozen squash
- salt, to taste
- kielbasa (optional) or other sausage (optional)
- 1Heat oil on medium to low heat in skillet. Add onion, garlic, carrots, oregano and paprika and saute gently for 15 minutes until well-cooked and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2Place beans in a large soup pot. Add water… at least enough water to cover the beans.
- 3Defrost squash in microwave enough to remove it from box. Add the squash to the pot with beans.
- 4Cover pot, stirring as squash defrosts into the soup. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Water may need to be added during cooking.
- 5Add sauteed onion mixture to the pot.
- 6Remove about 1/2 of the mixture with a slotted spoon, place in a large bowl and set aside. With the remaining contents in the pot, blend with hand blender (or used blender or potato masher). Add this mixture back to the pot and stir.
- 7Stir and salt to taste.
- 8Saute sausage if desired. You can put it in the soup or serve on side for sausage lovers, giving vegetarians an option with the soup.
- 9Serve with bread or rolls.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilean Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.2
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: