Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tex-Mex pasta? You bet! It's called Fideo.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 2⁄3 cups fideos (broken in 1-inch pieces) or 2 2⁄3 cups vermicelli (broken in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup green chili, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves, minced (optional)
- monterey jack cheese, grated (optional)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add fideo and onion.
- Cook, stirring and turning constantly until the fideo is golden brown and toasted.
- Add garlic, chiles and tomatoes to fideo mixture.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken and salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low and cook covered for about 5-7 minutes or until fideo are tender.
- Remove cover and continue cooking for a few minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with minced cilantro/grated cheese, if desired.
This I made for dinner tonight. I have to admit I added a few more spices. Cajun seasoning and cumin. It was good
I made this to go with tacos and quesadilla's this weekend and was very pleased with the flavor. A great side for a mexican themed meal. Thank you very much! :)
it was not too bad.. I added more water + chicken boullion so that it would remain soupy, but then the flavor was a bit bland. I would suggest adding a can of tomato sauce as well.