Recipe by Leslie in Texas
The flavor of a chili relleno is captured in this easy-to-make appetizer, lunch, or light supper. Originally from a December 1980 issue of Bon Apetit magazine.Whole canned green chilies may be substituted for the fresh.
- 8 -10 fresh poblano peppers
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated (8 oz.)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil or roast poblano peppers over direct heat until skin is charred; place in plastic or paper bag and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Split chilies, then carefully remove skin, seeds and veins before using.
- Rinse chilies, if needed, and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Generously grease 10-inch pie plate or shallow casserole.
- Line plate with split chilies, covering completely and extending up sides as much as possible.
- Combine eggs, cheese,cream,onion,salt,garlic and pepper in blender and mix on low speed about 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour into pie plate and bake until set, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.