Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
A friend of mine made something similar to this a few years back for breakfast. It was so good I had to have the recipe. This is definitely one of my savory favorites. Thanks Linda for sharing your recipe.
Top Review by savoryspice
My 11 year old LOVES this. Has requested several times. I used 1 can of chilies, and 1 can of jalapenos the 2nd time I made this. (what I had on hand). Really good. Thanks for a great recipe
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (27 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Beat half & half, 4 eggs and flour until smooth.
- Split whole chilis open, clean seeds off and drain on paper towl.
- Mix cheese, reserving 3/4 cup for top.
- Make alternate layers chilies first, remaining cheese, and egg mixture in a deep 1-1/2 qt baking dish or a 9x13 casserole dish and repeat. Pour tomato sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.Cover with foil, bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 15 min without foil or until cooked in center.
- Let rest 10 minutes to set before serving.