Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A friend of mine made something similar to this a few years back for breakfast. It was so good I had to have the recipe. This is definitely one of my savory favorites. Thanks Linda for sharing your recipe.
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (27 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Beat half & half, 4 eggs and flour until smooth.
- Split whole chilis open, clean seeds off and drain on paper towl.
- Mix cheese, reserving 3/4 cup for top.
- Make alternate layers chilies first, remaining cheese, and egg mixture in a deep 1-1/2 qt baking dish or a 9x13 casserole dish and repeat. Pour tomato sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.Cover with foil, bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 15 min without foil or until cooked in center.
- Let rest 10 minutes to set before serving.
My 11 year old LOVES this. Has requested several times. I used 1 can of chilies, and 1 can of jalapenos the 2nd time I made this. (what I had on hand). Really good. Thanks for a great recipe
This was SO good, just like all of your other recipes I've tried. Not really eggy at all. Great flavor. I made it ahead and popped in the fridge til I was ready to bake it. I will be making this again for sure.