Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
I was given this recipe by my hostess on a recent trip to Australia. The flavours are amazingly rich.
- 2 kg roma tomatoes, ripe
- 150 ml olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 25 g ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 7 small fresh red chilies, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup cumin seed
- 1⁄4 cup black mustard seeds
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 1 cup palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander, chopped
- Rub whole tomatoes with olive oil, place in a roasting pan and roast at 350°F for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Combine garlic, ginger, chilies, cumin, mustard seeds and vinegar in a food processor and process until finely chopped and well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a large heavy based saucepan. Add tomatoes, fish sauce, sugar and turmeric. Simmer over low heat for 11/2 - 2 hours or until thick and jammy.
- Remove from heat and stir in coriander.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal while hot.
- Keeps in the refrigerator 1 month.