Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 ounces salt pork, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb coarsely ground lean beef
- 2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen okra
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas with bacon
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Sauté the onion and garlic with the salt pork until tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with their juices and sauté 10 minutes more.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Add the vegetable juice, okra, green chiles, and bay leaf.
- Cook over medium heat 45 to 60 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Next, add the black-eyed peas, parsely, and more water to maintain a soup consistency.
- Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and chile powder, and cook 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the filé powder and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls over rice.