Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Warmed up it makes a great dip for chips. Can be also be spread on crackers when taken straight from the refrigerator. The kind of American cheese you use will have a great effect on the outcome of this dip. I use Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese when making this. Don't use the kind of cheese that consists of the individually wrapped slices. It tastes too much like plastic.
- 1 lb good quality American cheese
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 -4 diced pickled jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
- 1 medium size tomatoes or 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- cayenne pepper
- Combine cheeses and milk.
- Heat slowly until cheese melts.
- Stir in diced jalapeno peppers and tomato.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Stir the con queso every 30 minutes or so to keep the peppers and tomato from settling to the bottom.
- After about an hour taste the con queso.
- Add cayenne pepper in 1/8 teaspoons increments until the heat is to your liking.
I thought this recipe was great. I used sauteed poblano peppers in place of the jalapenos and also included some sauteed onions. My family loved it!!! It's a lot like the stuff you get at restaurants. It is even better reheated the next day! Very easy. i didn't have the time to melt it slowly on the stove so, I put it in the microwave for a couple minutes at a time and took it out and stirred it in between.