Shrimp con Queso
Chile con Queso made with Shrimp!! This is a winner at our house! I sometimes use the smaller salad shrimp (purchased frozen at Sam's club) and don't chop. Add more jalapeno or hot sauce, to taste.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can peeled tomatoes with juice, drained and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lb medium shrimp, cooked,peeled,deveined and finely chopped
- hot mexican hot pepper sauce, to taste
- tortilla chips, for dipping
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until they give off their juices and they evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- (The mixture should look somewhat dry.) Add the milk and bring to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, toss the Monterey Jack and Cheddar with the cornstarch.
- Stir the cheese into the milk mixture, a handful at a time, stirring with the hot sauce.
- Transfer to a mini crockpot or fondue pot.
- Serve warm, with the tortilla chips for dipping.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I'm so glad I tried this recipe. It's absolutely wonderful. I used diced tomatoes flavored with mild green chili's at DH's request!! I didn't use the Mont.Jack cheese, but instead used a four cheese Mexican blend and sharp cheddar instead of the extra sharp. I used medium shrimp which I chopped, but not real fine. I served this with triscuts and it was perfect because when you dipped you caught some shrimp!!