Lorraine of AZ's Note:
This might be considered a "Mexican lasagna." Layers of tortilla chips, sauce, chicken (or other meat), and, of course, cheese, bake into a tasty casserole. This is an excellent dish to use leftover chicken, turkey, beef, or hamburger. Or you may want to cook up meat specially to use in this casserole. Either way, you'll be delighted with the meal that results. Recipe is from "Dad's Own Cookbook" by Bob Sloane.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (23 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) jar red taco sauce, choose your favorite heat
- 1/2 cup canned chicken broth (or use or 1/2 bouillon cube dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 (12 ounce) bag unsalted tortilla chips
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-incch strips (or use cooked hamburger, stead or turkey)
- 1 3/4 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or use Monterey jack cheese)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 11 x 17-inch glass baking dish and reserve.
- 2Pour tomatoes, taco sauce, chicken broth, and seasoning mix into a large frying pan. Over high heat, cook until mixture begins simmering. Reduce heat to medium low and cook the mixture about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and reserve this sauce.
- 3Break half of the tortilla chips into the reserved 11 x 17-inch baking dish. Spread them out over the bottom of the dish.
- 4Spoon half of the reserved sauce over the tortilla chips. Spread half of the chicken over the sauce. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chicken.
- 5Then repeat the layers: broken chips, sauce, chicken, and cheese using up all ingredients.
- 6Bake, uncovered, in center of preheated oven for 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilaquiles With Chicken, Tomatoes, and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 807.8
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 104.7 mg
- Sodium 2417.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 39.9 g