1/1 Photo of Chickpeas and Fennel With Rice
Elise and family's Note:
Subtle and fresh, this has a gentle but memorable flavour. Contains lots of fibre and vitamin C. It is hearty but not heavy. And it's easy! The cooking time includes the time for soaking rice, so if you do not prepare it this way, you can save some time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak rice in pot for ten minutes in enough water to cover. When ten minutes are up, rinse the rice and add 1 cup fresh water. Cover and bring to a boil, then set on low heat to simmer for 8-9 minutes.
- 2While rice cooks, chop fennel bulb and put in pan with olive oil. Cook on medium heat until fennel begins to soften.
- 3Add chopped garlic, chickpeas, salt and pepper.
- 4When rice is finished cooking, turn off burner under rice and leave, covered, for ten minutes more (makes it fluffy).
- 5Add garam masala to chickpeas and fennel for remaining five minutes of cooking, while the rice is sitting, and add fresh fennel tops (the feathery parts) near the end of cooking (just to warm them up).
- 6Serve side by side on big plates, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpeas and Fennel With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.8
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 869.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 18.1 g