Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Subtle and fresh, this has a gentle but memorable flavour. Contains lots of fibre and vitamin C. It is hearty but not heavy. And it's easy! The cooking time includes the time for soaking rice, so if you do not prepare it this way, you can save some time.
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped in one inch pieces
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 big garlic clove, diced with centre removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garam masala
- fennel, tops chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- Soak rice in pot for ten minutes in enough water to cover. When ten minutes are up, rinse the rice and add 1 cup fresh water. Cover and bring to a boil, then set on low heat to simmer for 8-9 minutes.
- While rice cooks, chop fennel bulb and put in pan with olive oil. Cook on medium heat until fennel begins to soften.
- Add chopped garlic, chickpeas, salt and pepper.
- When rice is finished cooking, turn off burner under rice and leave, covered, for ten minutes more (makes it fluffy).
- Add garam masala to chickpeas and fennel for remaining five minutes of cooking, while the rice is sitting, and add fresh fennel tops (the feathery parts) near the end of cooking (just to warm them up).
- Serve side by side on big plates, and enjoy!
This is delicious and so easy to prepare. We love it! I am sending this recipe to several of my friends so they can enjoy it too. Be sure to cook the fennel slowly until it is quite soft and has released it's delicious flavor and aroma. Also, be sure to add plenty of the furry fronds at the end of the cooking time as they are loaded with flavor and vitamins.