Recipe by Leggy Peggy
Soups are quick to make and so very easy on the budget. They are perfect for a busy day -- and are a great way to use fresh veggies as well as what's in the cupboard. Use the chile only if you are a fan of heat. This recipe has been created for the Dining on a Dollar competition.
Top Review by LauraMac
I tried this recipe because I was trying to do a big fridge clean-out and I had never tried a soup with tuna in it. I love the versatility of this recipe! You can try different vegetables and herbs & spices. I followed the recipe pretty much all the way through with the exception of a couple of the canned things not being on hand. A wonderful, healthy find and perfect for a cold night! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 8 ounces)
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (about 8 ounces)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 1 -2 chicken stock cube
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon ground dried chile (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can tuna, drained
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4-1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- chopped cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan over high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the carrots and zucchini and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, dried onion, stock cubes, basil, parsley and oregano and chile, if used.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then add the mushrooms, corn kernels, chickpeas and tuna. Be sure to add the juice from the mushrooms and corn.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the carrots are tender and everything is heated through. Stir occasionally.
- Check for seasoning.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 2-3 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.