1/6 Photos of Chickpea Fritters With Hot Pepper Mayonnaise
From "Carribbean Carnival", Good Food Magazine, February 1987. These fritters can be served hot or at room temperature. A lighter oil will have a more neutral taste. Peanut oil or extra-virgin olive oil might overpower the mayonnaise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Hot Pepper Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup oil (sunflower, safflower, canola or soybean)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 3/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1Make mayonnaise: Process egg, mustard, and salt in food processor or blender until mixed. With machine running, add oil in thin, steady stream and process until emulsified. Transfer mayonnaise to small bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- 2Make fritters: Process chick-peas, onion, flour, eggs, garlic, red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper in food processor or blender just until slightly chunky, 5-6 pulses. Transfer to mixing bowl and stir in scallions and parsley.
- 3If serving fritters hot, heat oven to 250 degrees.
- 4Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until small drop of batter makes lively sizzle. Drop batter by 1/2 tablespoonfuls into oil and flatten slightly with spatula. Fry until bottom is brown, 1-2 minutes, then turn and brown second side. Transfer fritters to paper towels to drain. Keep warm in oven or let cool to room temperature. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 5Serve with pepper mayonnaise.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Fritters With Hot Pepper Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.8
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 374.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 6.3 g