Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From CookingLight Whole milk yogurt contributes a silky, creamy texture to this mild vegetarian stew from India. Serve with steamed or sautéed spinach and Indian bread. Replicate naan, the Indian flatbread, by cooking flour tortillas in a grill pan or cast-iron skillet until blackened in spots. The cinnamon sticks and bay leaves are removed before the dish is served, but the cardamom pods are more difficult to fish out. Be careful as you eat not to bite into one.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped plum tomato (about 1 large)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin, coriander, cardamom, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in garam masala, and cook 10 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup water, tomato, salt, and chickpeas; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; discard cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Stir in yogurt and cilantro.
Fairly easy, flavorful and yummy and even on the healthier side, too. Thank you for sharing this!