Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have seen this dish before with Duck, but the family not being big Duck eaters I use Chicken. Its so delicious, very easy and very colourful. Cherries must be pitted and I use black cherries.
- 8 chicken breasts
- dark soy sauce
- 8 slice lemons (sliced thinly)
- ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 59.16 ml soft brown sugar
- 29.58 ml cornflour
- 425 g canpitted cherries
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 14.79 ml grated orange rind
- 14.79 ml grated lemon rind
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- Brush the chicken with the soy sauce.
- Place a slice of lemon on each breast and season with the pepper. Line a tray with foil and grill chicken (b.b.q. works well also) until chicken is tender and serve the chicken with the sour cherry sauce.
- *Drain the pitted black cherries and reserve the juice.
- Place vinegar and sugar in a saucepan, bring to boil, and cook stirring constantly until mixture caramelizes.
- Blend the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of cherry liquid, and put the left over juice into the saucepan with the stock, rinds juices, cherries and liquid, cook another 3 minutes.
- Add cornflour paste stirring until combined (with no lumps) and thickened.
Absolutely delicious! I had no orange juice, so used just some more cherry juice, and it turned out really wonderful. We had this with red cabbage and loved every bite of it :) Thanks for sharing!
Made for Make My Recipe Reunion Game / AUS / NZ Forum
This was really lovely and went well with the duck breasts I served it with instead of chicken. I have only given it 4 instead of 5 stars as we found it a little too orange tasting for us so added some port to the sauce to counter it. We really enjoyed it after that and would make it again, but I would just cut back on the orange juice next time. I served ours over celeriac mash for a super yummy meal. Cheers Tisme :)