Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
Serve this on a dish surrounded with nutty brown rice or tagliatelle verde. White wine or brandy may be used to deglaze the pan in place of sherry.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup light cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Divide the chicken breasts into two natural fillets. Place each between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to a thickness of 1/4 inch with a rolling pin.
- Cut into 1 inch diagonal strips.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and crushed garlic slowly until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook them for another 5 minutes; remove and keep warm.
- Increase the heat and add the reamining oil and fry the chicken very quickly, in small batches, for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly colored.
- Season each batch with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove and keep warm on a plate while frying the rest of the chicken.
- Add the sherry and lemon juice to the pan and quickly return the chicken, onions, garlic and mushrooms, stirring to coat.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a boil.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Excellent casserole dish! Any cooked chicken and stock will do. Add 2 cups stock to the casserole. I used milk instead of whipping cream and this worked great. Pecans would work well as a topping to dress this up.